Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Maxton's birth story

Finally sitting down to write Max’s birth story while he sleeps soundly beside me.  Been a while since I posted anything I know but this is the biggest thing that's happened and I couldn't wait to share!
Tuesday December 18 I was one day over due. I had an appointment with my OB and I went thinking about asking him about having me induced. I was so uncomfortable and baby was sitting on a nerve in my back causing me excruciating pain for over a week. The Thursday before I had ended up at L&D since my OB thought I might have a kidney infection. Nope just baby sitting in a bad spot.
After doing an exam, he tells me I am about 1 ½ cm dilated and about 90% effaced. I think, hey that’s something. However baby is still posterior. He has been so for several weeks now and my OB wasn’t sure if he would turn on his own. He then told me that if I want I can go to the birthing center to be induced. He had to call to make sure they had a room for me and left my husband and I to talk it over. Without hesitation we decided that the inducement was the way to go. Luckily we had kept my suitcase in the car and had everything else with us just in case. My dr came back and said they were waiting for us whenever we were ready. My hubby and I got our things together and called my mom to let her know what was going on. (She came and joined us later in the afternoon.) We checked in at 11:21am and by 12:30 they had my IV in and started the pitocin. I tested positive for GSB so they have me antibiotics plus some fluids to keep me hydrated. My OB came and checked on me after a couple hours to see how I was doing and I hadn’t progressed very far. I started having some back labor, but felt the contractions almost no where else. I decided to take a nap at one point and lay on my left side. I started having horrible contractions. To the point I was crying and in so much pain I could barely stand it. After trying to bare them I switched sides, and they almost immediately went away. It was the strangest thing.
They continued to turn up my pitocin and I progressed to about 4cm. Unfortunately my back labor got worse and worse. I tried walking the halls, bouncing on a birthing ball and even taking a bath. Nothing helped. Around midnight I asked for an epidural. The anesthesiologist was amazing! Getting the epidural wasn’t as bad as I thought, even though it did hurt. It started relieving my back labor within about 15 minutes, enough so I decided to try and get some sleep. My mom and hubby tried to get some sleep as well. Because baby was posterior, my nurse and the girl she was training and sometimes my OB came to turn me onto my other side every 30 minutes trying to get baby to turn. I managed to get a little bit of sleep but not much. I was exhausted. Around 4:30am my OB came back in and just the look on his face told me he was concerned. With every contraction baby’s heart rate dropped. He was exhausted from trying to move and my OB wanted to get him out. He said I would need a c-section and soon. I yelled at my husband, who was sleep on the floor, to get up that we needed to talk. A nurse had to poke him to wake him up. I had not wanted a c-section but I wasn’t opposed to the idea, if that’s what needed to happen, that I was ok with that. By 5:15ish I was in the operating room with my husband sitting by my head. My anesthesiologist talked me through everything as it was happening which was really nice. My hubby couldn’t watch them do anything and I’m glad I couldn’t see anything. Maxton was pulled from my belly at 5:44am and cried his first cry shortly after. They held him up and my first thought was, holy crap where did all his hair come from?  Both my husband and I had been bald when we were born, so that’s what I was expecting. They took him over to clean him up and my hubby went with to check him out. Then they told me how much he weighed and how long he was. 9lbs and 1oz and 21 ¼ inches long! Was not expecting that either! No wonder he wouldn’t move. They put him in my husband’s arms and I got to kiss his sweet face for the first time. From that very second I was completely in love. Because I had a c-section I had to stay in the hospital for the rest of the week. Started to go stir crazy by like the 3rd day and couldn’t wait to come home. Almost had to leave Max at the hospital because he had horrible jaundice. We actually had to go back twice to have his bilirubin done again and he lost a whole pound. Started to feed better so he gained some weight back fairly quickly and he grew ¼ of an inch in less then a week. He’s going to be a tall skinny kid like his dad.
These first almost two weeks have been rough with sleepless nights and refusing to nurse. But we are working it out and things are starting to get better! I couldn’t have asked for a better early Christmas present!

No comments: